Monday, July 28, 2008

All Texan now

The past couple weeks I have been trying to get our registration, license plates, drivers license taken care of. Last week I got the first two things done no problem just a TON of money for the registration... ouch ... So today I figured I would get my DL done. I went down to the DPS office around noon (i know not the best time to go) I had to wait until I put the boys down for their nap to go. Before I went I checked out the website for what I needed to bring. Had everything with me thinking I had it all but NO. I get to the first checking (they find out what you are doing and if you have proper paper work)which I thought was pretty nice. I DIDNT HAVE MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE. I guess a new rule (MAY) if you are from out of state you have to have your birth certificate. I mention how it did NOT say that under the NEW TO TX RESIDENT info for that. So I took my number as I had a 45-1hour wait anyway and came home to get my BC. I made it back with about 10 minutes before my number was called. The office is actually pretty close to my house so I knew I would have plenty of time to get back. I get back to my person and they asked if we only had the one car. NO we have 2 and they were BOTH put in MY name at the registrations office. WELL.... I had to have both registrations to continue. I come home AGAIN to get the registration and insurance out of Johns car. I was given a "LINE PASS" which I thought was nice and went back again. This is my THIRD time going there. ALAS.. I had what I needed and got my new TEXAS license but they took away my picture license from CO so now I dont have a Picture ID for 2-3 weeks. I hope I dont need to show a picture ID anytime soon. All that acutally only took about 1 1/2 hours. Pretty good I thought.

I did notice on the list of things to bring for school registration was a parents drivers license. I hope they will take my temporary one.

John was supposed to go tomorrow but he will need his ID to travel. He is heading back to CO in 2 weeks so we think he should wait on getting his. I hope he will have a long enough break between trips so he can get his new license.

4 comments:

Merrimom said...

Yikes! Good that you live close, but what a pain to have to go back and forth! When we moved here, I was expecting to have to wait weeks for our new DL's but we were surprised to have them handed to us about 5 minutes after they took our pictures! I loved that. The other funny thing about ours here is that they don't expire until 2040! What??? A driver's license that is good for 35 years!? No wonder there are so many traffic problems and accidents here! Bleck!

Jen Wolff said...

That stinks!!! Good luck with school registration. Maybe John should do it since he still has his ID.

Leasa said...

Gotta love the hassles of moving someplace new. When we got our drivers licenses in Colorado, they just punched a hole in our California ones and had us sign a state surrender notice so that we could still have a picture ID. Maybe you could ask if John could do that as he needs a picture ID for travel. Glad to hear that you are getting settled. Your house looks great!

karen said...

I was surprised where in CO we got our new one right then. About 5 minutes after taking the picture. I guess we are not as advanced here. I did find my SAMSCLUB card so that has a picture on it.